Saturday, June 30, 2007

A word from Walker (finally!)

The past couple of months have been the most trying and pressure filled of my life. My feet hit the floor at 5 every morning and I usually don't get home until 6 or 7. I have received very little help from my manager. It would be one thing if I was just handling the sales aspect, but that is only a portion of what I have to deal with. One of the most difficult tasks has been trying to find employees. I have a great operations supervisor and one of the best class A drivers and operators I have ever seen. I have to watch every cost and so when I send an applicant for a drug screen and a back ground check, that is a cost. As of now I am one for three. The one I am hiring had a kidnapping charge, but he explained to me that it was because he is black and his girlfriend was white and her parents found out and pressed charges. The other two I did not hire were felony drug charges. I have to balance my inventory to ensure that I do not have too much or too little. The problem with that is I know all the products that I need, but my sales will be so sporadic that I can't just bring in every item that I know that I eventually will need to have on hand. I don't have an accounting clerk, so I have to do most of the month end closing of the books. All of this amounts to an amazing learning opportunity, both mentally and physically (I have to run loads until people are hired). Starting a brand new center from nothing, is an experience that few people get to have. I have had one truck running loads for about 2 weeks, and after closing the books last night my profit margin looked great and I think that in month 2 we might even make money. If I am slow to return emails or calls during the week I apologize, but things are so hectic right now. I appreciate everyone's support and I hope to see you guys really soon.

1 comment:

carmen said...

oh walkie!! good to see some of your words on the blog world. i hope that things get looking in the up and up and not soooooo stressful. look forward to more of your posts and pics!!